executive communication coaching: frequently asked questions
Is executive communication coaching right for me?
Individuals who benefit most from 1:1 executive coaching recognize the value of strong communication skills and are committed to making positive change. They tend to have a history of success and are inspired and energized by the prospect of growth and further achievement. Specifically, we help:
- Leaders who have found success but struggle with communicating their vision, projecting executive presence, and connecting with others
- Emerging leaders who show high potential
- Professionals who serve as subject matter experts for highly technical and complex topics (e.g., IT, engineering, financial services) and struggle to influence decisions, achieve stakeholder understanding, connect with customers, and garner support for their ideas
Why is executive communication coaching valuable?
For those who want to improve their communication skills and executive presence, working with a re_group executive communication coach offers:
Dedicated time to focus on improving communication skills: Many executives and professionals recognize that improving their communication skills and executive presence could help improve their impact, but a demanding schedule and a need to deliver on results in the workplace often override good intentions. If professionals do not dedicate time to focus, on their own professional development and strengthen their skills, it will likely never happen, or at least certainly not as quickly. Committing to working with an executive coach holds executives and professionals accountable for dedicating time to becoming a better communicator.
Personalized attention: Executive communication coaching offers personalized 1:1 attention for clients who want to improve their communication skills and executive presence.
Customized development plan: The coaching sessions are customized to help each client tackle his/her specific challenges or prepare for upcoming high-stakes meetings or presentations. The coaching promotes personal discovery and focuses on identifying and building on clients’ strengths and how to utilize those to the best of their advantage when communicating with an intended audience.
Accountability to practice new concepts: During each coaching session, the re_group coach will offer suggestions for how to tackle specific situations and offer ideas for new communication practices. Clients will be given “homework assignments” and encouraged to utilize the suggestions and practices between sessions. During each session, clients will be asked to share how the practices worked for them and how the practices can be refined to best reflect the client’s specific style and during different situations.
On-call support available to you: In case presentations or situations arise between the coaching sessions, clients will have on-call access to their re_group coach for additional guidance. Coaches will be available via phone during business hours and provide unlimited email feedback, as needed.
What communication challenges are tackled during executive communication coaching?
Every coaching client has a unique set of challenges and goals when he/she reaches out to the re_group team. These challenges are explored and confirmed during an initial assessment conducted by a re_group executive coach. A customized development plan is then developed for each client that details the goals, specific issues and desired areas for improvement, and what topics will be covered during the engagement.
Common challenges that we often help our clients tackle include how to:
- Share ideas and build buy-in and support of them
- Speak with purpose, authenticity, and authority
- Earn respect of direct reports and colleagues
- Increase confidence
- Strengthen executive presence
- Establish credibility
- Communicate a highly technical and complex topic
- Build professional relationships and connections with current and potential clients
- Capture the attention of an intended audience
- Focus on crafting a meaningful and impactful message that excites people and moves them to action
- Overcome stage fright and refine public speaking skills
- Influence outcomes
- Prepare for an upcoming high-stakes meeting, presentation, or interview
- Speak succinctly
- Lead and facilitate high-performing team meetings
- Maintain control of conversations and media interviews
For executive coaching to be successful, it is critical that clients are committed to the process, actively participate in the sessions, and practice newly learned concepts. re_group’s team of executive coaches will offer ideas and suggestions throughout the coaching engagement regarding how the client can improve his/her communication skills and strengthen executive presence, but it will be up to the client to take action.
What does an executive communication coaching engagement consist of?
During an initial six-month coaching engagement, executive communication coaching clients will:
- Participate in an initial assessment to identify client’s strengths and explore specific challenges and issues that he/she would like to address during the coaching sessions
- Receive a customized development plan (based on the initial assessment) that details the identified goals, challenges, and a plan of attack for the upcoming sessions
- Participate in 12 virtual coaching sessions (via video conference or phone). Clients will schedule these one hour sessions using an online portal. During these sessions, the re_group executive coach will work with the client to identify the client’s strengths and how to maximize them to the client’s advantage in various situations; explore new practices and ideas designed to tackle and overcome specific challenges; learn and apply the Simply OutSTANDing™ communication approach, re_group’s proprietary, simple, six-step method designed to help professionals craft and deliver messages to any audience in a variety of situations; and review and practice for upcoming presentations, speeches, or interviews.
- Receive and complete homework assignments designed to hold you accountable for trying new communication practices and pushing you beyond your comfortable boundaries
- Have on-call access to his/her re_group coach during business hours to talk about specific issues, challenges, high-stakes meetings that may develop in between coaching sessions
- Have unlimited email support from his/her re_group coach
- Learn the Simply OutSTANDing™ communication approach and how to apply it in various situations, including high-stakes business pitches, interviews, and presentations to audiences both large and small
- Receive a copy of the book entitled Simply OutSTANDing™: Communicating with confidence + clarity to get what you want
What additional services are available to further customize my coaching engagement?
Depending on the specific goals of the client and communication challenges, additional services that may be incorporated into the coaching engagement include:
- Perform on-site job shadowing
- Conduct telephone interviews with colleagues and direct reports to identify how others perceive client
- Conduct on-site and in-person coaching sessions
- Accompany executive to high-stakes events or interviews to provide last-minute guidance, observation, and constructive feedback
- Develop collateral and supporting materials for presentations/speeches
- Facilitate message development sessions with executives and their teams regarding specific initiatives
What is Simply OutSTANDing™?
Simply OutSTANDing™ is re_group’s proprietary approach designed to help passionate professionals who have amazing ideas verbally communicate them with confidence + clarity in any situation to get what they want.
In six easy steps, clients will learn how to create and confidently deliver high-impact and emotionally engaging messages and move people to take action.
For over a decade, professionals have benefited from learning and using the Simply OutSTANDing approach. Pre- and post-evaluations show a 194% improvement rate in their confidence levels.
All executive communication coaching clients will be introduced to and learn how to apply the approach so that they will be successful in various situations. All coaching clients will also receive a copy of the book entitled Simply OutSTANDing™: Communicating with confidence + clarity to get what you want, which further details the approach, gives examples, and provides worksheets.
How long do executive communication coaching engagements last?
Coaching engagements typically last six months, which consists of the initial coaching assessment and a minimum of 12 coaching sessions. Some clients, however, choose to continue the coaching experience beyond the initial engagement to further strengthen their skills, be held accountable for applying effective communication practices, and have a dedicated resource available to turn to in preparation for high-stakes business meetings and presentations.
How do I get started?
Today is the perfect day to get started. Contact the re_group team to learn more about how we can help you become a simply outstanding communicator.